Highlights from the history of the Outdoor Recreation Center
1969—Christopher Tapfer (’73 Rec.) enters WSU and works as a ski instructor for a physical education class at Tamarack Mountain. The same year, WSU buys the North South Ski Bowl, now known as Palouse Divide. It will be managed by the Outdoor Activities Program until 1980. It’s sold in 1984.
1971—The Outdoor Activities Program (OAP) is established as part of ASWSU. Tapfer and a graduate assistant teach winter survival, mountaineering, and canoeing.
1972—Tapfer takes over management of the OAP, which moves into Compton Union Building for the next 29 years. During this era, the … » More …
Its architecture is eclectic, a mix of New England Shingle, ornamental Queen Anne, and Colonial Revival styles with Pacific Northwest touches. Local basalt, clay from campus, and Puget Sound fir and red cedar were all used in its construction in 1895.
In those early years, Stevens Hall was not only an all-women’s residence hall but a social center for the students of Washington State. This is where they would come together—for dances and dinners, teas, readings, and receptions.
Today, Stevens Hall, placed on the National Register of Historic Places and steeped in tradition, remains women-only, and its residents tend to form close bonds, often … » More …