Sustainable travel is all about choices of travelers. If you want to be more conscious of local and environmental impacts of your travel, there are resources and ideas aplenty.
Read about WSU research on slow and sustainable travel (WSM, Summer 2023)
Here are a few tips and ideas for your next sustainable voyage.
Look for eco-friendly seals at places you visit or on things you buy. When businesses and places have a certification such as the following, they show their commitment to sustainability:
Use transportation alternatives.
- Bikemap – app to find bicycling routes around the world
- Bike Citizens – app with cycling maps and information
- Find lower emissions on flights with Skyscanner’s Greener Choices tool
- Trainline’s Carbon Calculator
Offset your travel emissions.
- Sustainable Travel
- Some airlines offer carbon offset programs
- Determine your own carbon footprint
Stay at an eco-friendly hotel or resort.
Tour and shop local no matter where you roam.
Travel on the offseason or locally.
The A to Z Guide to Traveling Sustainably (Condé Nast Traveler, 2023)
Be a More Sustainable Traveler (New York Times)
Top 10 Tips for Sustainable Travel
Sustainable Tips for the Eco-Conscious Traveler
The Ultimate Guide to Sustainable Travel