Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Lighthouse

Looking into the Admiralty Head Lighthouse

Admiralty Head Lighthouse, designed by architect Carl Leick in 1898 and opened in 1903, was built to guide ships into Puget Sound. It is now located at the Fort Casey State Park on Whidbey Island.

Put your cursor on the squares below to look at the tower, the residence, and displays in the lighthouse. Click on the boxes to see a larger photograph.

#lighthouse {
background: url(../stories/2011/Fall/Admiralty-Head-Lighthouse.jpg) no-repeat;
width: 700px;
height: 489px;
margin: 0 !important;
padding: 0;
font-size:.8em;
}
#lighthouse li {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
list-style: none;
}
#lighthouse li a … » More …

Fall 2011

To the lighthouse

For more than a century one of Washington’s earliest man-made landmarks has perched 120 feet above the sea on the bluff at Admiralty Head on Whidbey Island. In its early years, the lighthouse beacon guided the sailing ships that helped settle Puget Sound. Today the white stucco structure with its 30-foot tower charms visitors exploring the island.

The first lighthouse was built on Admiralty Head (also called Red Bluff) in 1861. At the time, the building was made of wood and the lamp was fueled by whale oil. It had to go, though, to make room for Fort Casey, a U.S.military post. In 1903, a … » More …