WSU has long-standing ties to Pakistan
M. “Ghazi” Ghazanfar (front row center, red tie) is among friends, many of them Washington State University or University of Idaho alumni. (See caption below.) In December 2003 he was invited to Pakistan to lecture at a seminar hosted by the University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (UVAS) in Lahore. He formerly lived in Karachi for nearly 11 years. In 1958 he enrolled at WSU as a freshman, and earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as a doctorate in economics. He taught for 35 years at Idaho, where he chaired the economics department from 1993 to 2002.
Seminar attendees included a number of UVAS faculty members. Those WSU graduates in the photo are designated by their years and degrees below.
WSU has long-standing educational ties to Pakistan. The West Pakistan Agricultural University, formerly Punjab Agricultural College and Research Institute at Lyallpur, 85 miles southwest of Lahore, was an outgrowth of the Inter-College Exchange Program between WSU and the University of Punjab in Lahore, begun in 1954 during the administration of President C. Clement French and terminated in 1962.